This is a diagram of the guitar rig Adam Jones used with Tool, beginning in 2019 during the Fear Inoculum tour and into 2020. We've pieced this together using parts of Guitar Geek's rig diagrams (originally designed by Adam Cooper) and our own artwork using images of Adam's pedalboard posted online.
If you have questions, suggestions, or even corrections to make to this rig, please feel free to share them via the comments section below.
We'll update the diagram and make improvements as we go.
- Artist: Adam Jones
- Band: Tool
- Year: 2019
- Closest Album/Tour: Fear Inoculum
Listing of Gear
In this section we've listed the gear included in the above diagram, to the best of our knowledge. Keep in mind that links lead to Sweetwater, who we partner with to support Guitar Chalk, but at no extra cost to you when/if you shop there.
- Gibson Les Paul Custom (Silverburst)
- Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black)
- Boss PSM-5 Power Supply and Switcher
- MXR Micro Amp
- Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
- Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah (535Q)
- Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
- Old DOD Equalizer (FX40B)
- Peterson Strobe Stomp Tuner
- Boss BF-3/BF-3 Flanger
- Korg Rack Tuner
- Systematic Sound Splitter GBX-95
- Diezel VH4 Amp Heads (100 watt versions)
- 1976 Marshall Super Bass Modified Head (100 watt version)
- Marshall 4 x 12 speaker cab
- 2 Mesa 4 x 12 speaker cabs
Resources and References
- Adam Jones Reddit thread
- Mixdown Mag Gear Rundown
- Guitar Geek rig diagrams (Adam Cooper)
- Community-submitted wiring diagram
- The Gear Page forum thread
Udeeksh Sood says
Hey! Amazing work.
May I use this diagram in one of my post and refer to your website?
Yessir, please do. Just a link and credit would be appreciated.
How did you make the guitar geek style image? It’s awesome!
Hey thanks, David. I used GIMP and Inkscape to pixelate the images, at least for the pedals that weren’t already in a Guitar Geek image. Most I could just pull from old Guitar Geek graphics. The ones I did aren’t perfect, but I was able to get close to what Adam Cooper was doing.
Thomas Anderson says
The unknown channel switcher (14) is a Systematic Sound Splitter GBX-95. It is being remade by Union Tone. https://www.uniontone.com/shop/gbx-95
One of these? https://sound-space.reverbsites.com/listing/1990s-systematic-sound-ltd-gbx-95-guitar-box-rack-mount-splitter-6-amp-switcher-owned-by-steve-vai/27319622
Just a couple notes that I noticed: The amp’s need to be larger (we’ll fix that). And also it seems that the volume pedal might not be an Ernie Ball, since Jones uses it as some kind of an effects loop. If anyone has any thoughts on that, feel free to share.