A lot of people ask about my guitar gear and what I use for this website. Truth be told, it's a lot of stuff.
This is particularly true when you combine both a guitar rig and a guitar blog.
But I'll go through both, for reference and for those of you who are curious about how I play guitar on my own practice time, how I setup my gear and how I've developed and built this website.
If you have questions about this stuff, or perhaps something I didn't mention, feel free to shoot me an email and I'll do my best to respond.
My Guitar Gear as of 2017
My guitar rig is fairly simple in terms of signal processing. I go from my guitar, to a basic pedalboard and a combo amp, USB interface or mixer, depending on the musical task and situation at hand.
Here's what I'm currently using.
- 2006 PRS CE 24 Electric Guitar (black with gold hardware - tuned to D A D G B E)
- 2005 PRS Santana SE Electric Guitar (tuned to C G C F A D)
- Taylor 114 CE Acoustic Guitar (tuned to E A D G B E)
- Warwick Rockbass 5-String Bass (tuned to A D A D G)
Pedals and FX
- Voodoo Lab ISO 5 Power Supply
- Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
- Boss BF-3 Flanger
- Boss PH-2 Super Phaser (discontinued by Boss)
- Boss GEB-7 Bass Equalizer
- Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Analog Delay
- Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler (rhythm, fader and analog mode)
- MXR DynaComp Compressor
Pedalboard and Amplifiers
- Pedaltrain Metro M16 Pedalboard (and carrying case)
- Line 6 Spider IV Combo Amplifier (150 Watt version - discontinued by Line 6)
- Fender '68 Vibrolux (on occasion, for more vintage-style playing)
Miscellaneous Gear Items
- GuitarMoose Stick Grip Picks
- Seymour Duncan Invader Pickups
- Elixir Strings (.052)
- Elixir Strings (baritone)
- Planet Waves Cables
- D&A Guitar Stands
- FretWrapz Guitar/Bass String Muters & Dampeners
I do a lot of recording at home for various projects, including all of my YouTube material. Again, it's a basic setup, but it always works great and does the job I need it to do.
We've got plenty of content on the specifics of this process, but if you just want a quick look at my recording gear of choice, here it is:
- PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface (for sending a guitar signal to a computer)
- Audio-Technica Condenser Microphone
- Mackie CR3 Creative Multimedia Monitors
- ChromaCast Adjustable Mic Stands
- Dragonpad Pop Filter
- Amplitube 4 Software
- GarageBand Software
- Macbook Pro
- Mac Mini
- Apple 27" Cinema Display
- Skullcandy Headphones
Blog and Web Development Related
For those who are curious, this is everything I use to keep Guitar Chalk running and churning out guitar-related content.
It's what I use to write and talk about guitar and guitar-related gear.
- GoDaddy Premium WordPress Hosting
- Thrive Content Builder and Visual Editor (for WordPress)
- The Genesis Framework (StudioPress Premium WordPress Themes)
- Guitar Pro 6 Tab and Notation Software (for building graphics)
- Inkscape (graphics manipulation)
- W3 Total Cache (WordPress plugin for site speed)
- Sublime Text 2 (CSS and HTML editor)
- Flickr Creative Commons (for graphics and photography - special thanks to Kmeron)
- FreePik graphics
- Guitar Tricks Lessons (as a reference tool)
- Evernote (for note taking and organization)
- Answer the Public (keyword research)