Differences between the Fender American Ultra and Professional II Stratocasters
Primarily pickups, and minor differences in hardware
There are some subtle hardware upgrades in the more expensive American Ultra Stratocaster, but the main difference here would be the Fender Noiseless pickups in the American Ultra. There's also a variation of the Ultra that comes with a Fender Deluxe humbucker at the bridge position, while the Professional II pickups are the Fender V-Mod versions. Both guitars are available with a three single coil (SSS) pickup configuration as well. The Deep C versus Modern D neck shape (C is the Pro II) should also be considered.
|Feature||Fender American Ultra Stratocaster||Fender American Professional II Stratocaster|
|Body Shape||American Ultra Stratocaster||American Professional II Stratocaster|
|Body Finish||Gloss Polyurethane||Gloss Polyurethane|
|Color||Cobra Blue||Dark Night|
|Neck Shape||Modern D||Deep C|
|Neck Finish||Ultra Satin||Super-Natural Satin|
|Fingerboard Inlay||White Pearloid Dots||White Dots|
|Number of Frets||22, Medium Jumbo||22, Narrow Tall|
|Bridge/Tailpiece||2-point Deluxe Synchronized Tremolo||2-Point Synchronized Tremolo with Cold-rolled Steel Block|
|Tuners||Deluxe Die-cast Sealed Locking||Fender Standard Die-cast|
|Neck Pickup||Ultra Noiseless Hot Strat Single-coil||Fender V-Mod II Single-coil|
|Middle Pickup||Ultra Noiseless Hot Strat Single-coil||Fender V-Mod II Single-coil|
|Bridge Pickup||Ultra Double Tap Humbucker||Fender V-Mod II Double Tap Humbucker|
|Controls||1 x master volume, 2 x tone||1 x master volume, 1 x tone (neck/middle), 1 x tone (push/push coil-split)|
|Switching||5-way blade pickup switch||5-way blade pickup switch|
|Strings||Fender NPS, .009-.042||Fender USA 250L, .009-.042|
|Case/Gig Bag||Hardshell Case||Hardshell Case|
Prices updated Fri, December 08th, 2023.
Most Notable Differences
- Fender American Ultra Stratocaster: Equipped with Ultra Noiseless Hot Strat single-coils (neck and middle) and an Ultra Double Tap humbucker (bridge).
- Fender American Professional II Stratocaster: Features V-Mod II single-coils (neck and middle) and a V-Mod II Double Tap humbucker (bridge).
- Fender American Ultra Stratocaster: Utilizes a 5-way switch and an S-1 switch on the volume pot for activating the double tap feature on the humbucker.
- Fender American Professional II Stratocaster: Employs a standard 5-way blade pickup switch with a push-push tone knob for coil-splitting the humbucker.
- Fender American Ultra Stratocaster: Features a Modern D profile for fast playing without a bulky feel.
- Fender American Professional II Stratocaster: Incorporates a Deep "C" neck profile, slightly rounder than the traditional American neck, which improves hand comfort.
- Fender American Ultra Stratocaster: Ultra Satin neck finish for smooth playability and resistance-free hand movement.
- Fender American Professional II Stratocaster: Offers a "Super-Natural" satin finish on the back of the neck.
- Fender American Ultra Stratocaster: Features a 10"-14" compound radius.
- Fender American Professional II Stratocaster: Incorporates a fixed 9.5" radius for a consistent feel across the fretboard.
- Fender American Ultra Stratocaster: Equipped with 22 medium-jumbo frets with rolled edges.
- Fender American Professional II Stratocaster: Utilizes 22 Narrow Tall frets.
- Fender American Ultra Stratocaster: Features a 2-point synchronized tremolo.
- Fender American Professional II Stratocaster: Upgraded 2-point tremolo with a cold-rolled steel block for improved sustain and brightness.
What would I go with?
The price difference between the Ultra and Professional II could be a factor for some people, since it's around $400 in most cases. But both of these guitars are excellent, and some of the nicer Strats available before you get into the Custom Shop. Personally, we like the Noiseless series pickups, so we'd pay the extra many and go with the Ultra. Let us know what you think or if you have questions, via the comments section below.
Compare More Electric Guitars
If you want to compare these Strats or other electric guitars, you can search for them here and add them to the comparison bar at the bottom of this page.
We link to products on Sweetwater that help support our site and keep the lights on. If you click through our orange buttons, we might earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you all for your generous support over the years! ~ Bobby and Danielle