Editorial Guidelines for
Want your product to be featured on Guitar Chalk in front of thousands of engaged readers per month? Our articles are thorough, informative and evergreen, which ensures your product will be showcased permanently on a site that is devoted to presenting quality guitar and music education resources.
Guitar Chalk is committed to providing informative, actionable and distinguished content to our audience that details concrete solutions to problems they might be facing. Our sponsored content should do the same.
Cost and Terms
For sponsored content, we're looking for industry experts to contribute. Thus, the more guitar knowledge, the better.
Here's a "ballpark" of how I typically price sponsored content:
- Article furnished by you (the sponsor): $200 - $400
- Written by Guitar Chalk (the publication): $400 - $700
These figures fluctuate depending on the time it takes on our end. For example, if there was a lot of formatting and editing that had to go into a furnished article, we might ask for $300 total instead of $200.
Regardless of which party authors the piece, sponsors retain the rights to the content because they are essentially purchasing it. The content is theirs, as it resides on the Guitar Chalk domain.
Here are a few other bullet points to note:
- All links in the content must use rel=noFollow (per Google and FTC guidelines)
- Content will "live" on Guitar Chalk forever and will be circulated on our Twitter feed (roughly once a week to about 1800 followers)
- Content will be featured in our newsletter and sent out to a mailing list of 7500, a 21% open rate and 4.5% CTR
Sponsored content should be actionable and practical, not a press release or review.
Guitar Chalk's reader base is made up primarily of guitar students, teachers and music production hobbyists who are engaged with music in a semi-professional capacity, though usually not as their primary nine to five job. The articles we publish should add value to what they are experiencing in regards to the guitar and music in general.
For sponsored posts on GC to be a good fit, they should affirm the following:
- Have a clear and easily-determined relevance to guitar, music education or music production.
- Offer or highlight a product that can be used to solve a problem or improve a guitarist's knowledge base.
- Highlight a product that is easily showcased in the context of a tutorial or case study.
If your product fits these descriptors, feel free to get in touch with us at [email protected].
Sponsored articles should have a "hands-on" element to them that highlight specific tools like pedals, strings, guitars, software, amplifiers or some other kind of musical gear.
The best scenario for a sponsored post is when GC readers can solve a concrete problem and, as a result, see a usefulness or need for your product.
Here are a few examples:
- Running an Electric Guitar and Pedalboard through GarageBand
- How to Connect your Guitar and Computer Using the iRig Pro DUO
- Setting Up a Slapback Delay in a Digital Environment
In the content marketing industry, this has a far better chance of converting to sales than the typical review copy that we're used to seeing.
Metrics and Reach
While GC's reader base is largely comprised of the educational and music production community, our readership at large is widely diverse and consists of everyone from beginners and casual musicians to gear hounds and music theorists.
In that regard, you can expect your sponsored content to get exposure to a wide range of musicians and guitar players.
Guitar Chalk has seen remarkable (and steady) growth between 2016 and 2017. (View Larger Image)
Here are some of the specific metrics:
- Sponsored content is published at the top of the GC blog and home page: 310,000 page views from 110,000 visits per month.
- Published to our RSS feed: 14000 readers
- Put on the tweet rotation for @guitarchalk: 1800+ followers
- Content "lives" on Guitar Chalk forever.
After the first three months, most new posts (depending on topic) get between 600 and 1000 total page views or roughly 200 - 400 per month. On average, a Guitar Chalk article obtains between 1500 and 2500 page views per year, though that number goes up drastically as the length of content increases.
After publication the post will be cycled into our social media schedule indefinitely.
Who writes the content?
Bobby (Guitar Chalk's editor and founder) typically works with companies directly to develop and write sponsored content, though it's just as easy to work with your writers (in-house or contracted) as well.
If you prefer to have someone within your company (or for you yourself) to write the content, be aware that this person should be able to fulfill the following requirements:
- Possesses a deep and technically proficient understanding of the product or service.
- Has demonstrated a proficiency and excellence in writing and the English language.
- Knows the ins and outs of the modern copywriting and blogging style.
- Understands the guitar and music, at least casually, if not professionally.
- Knows how to use media (screenshots, videos, etc.) to enhance and improve content.
- They should be able to adhere to our writer and publishing guidelines (linked in the opening paragraphs)
What does the process look like?
Assuming you're working with Bobby, or one of our authors, to produce the content, the publishing process goes something like this:
- Headline agreed upon
- Content written
- Evaluation period for client to provide feedback
- Final draft approved by client
- Article scheduled and published
Whether you're furnishing the content on your own or you want to work with us to have the copy written, we can talk details and specifics that work with your schedule.
Get In Touch
Feel free to shoot us an email and get in touch.
Graphics courtesy of Freepik